I am also a member of the Brothers of the Third Wheel

Welcome to my VW trike page

banner_Get_complete_protection Sport Bike Apparel and Accessories at MotoSport.com

Here is a link to a PDF file that shows how to put together a VW trike from a kit. This was my first trike I built about 35 to 40 years ago. Hope it will help you in building a VW trike. trike0010.pdf

It has a 1968 1600 engine. The trike was located in Southern Oregon.

If anybody has any trike pictures that you would like to share on my site I would be more then happy to place them in my gallery.  Please email them to me at bojo@billswebb.com Be sure to check out my gallery.


This Web Page is dedicated to my trike. Here you can see how I built it and learn how to build a trike for your self!


VW carStarted with a 1968 VW that ran good but the body and interior did not amount to very much. Matter of fact the interior was a shambles plus it had a broken windshield. Only had to pay $500.00 for the entire car. You might say it was retired.


VW engine removalAn easy way to pull an engine from a VW that is not going to be used any more. Pull the rear fenders off and then cut with a power saw to get rid of the metal around the engine. Use a transmission jack to old engine while you disconnect the bolts and wiring and then role the  engine back away from car. I left the engine and the transaxle as one piece.


FrameThis is the frame I used from the VW and it has to be cut from the floor of the car. The frame is what holds the transaxle. 



frame with tubeAfter I welded the tube to the frame (I used 2 x 3 rectangular tubing 1/4 wall) I blocked the VW engine and transaxle and bolted the frame to the transaxle.


using square tubing1" square tubing was used to make the frame over the engine and used 1" X 1"1/2"sqaure tubing to hold the frame at the back. The 1" X 1"1/2" was bolted to the engine mounts. I welded 1/4" x 2" x 2" tabs on the tubing so it could be bolted to the rear engine mounts using the existing 1" bolts. 


sheet metal14 gauge sheet metal is being used to cover the back part of the trike. You can also see the back part where I made an arch so I could work on the engine. Later I had to change it slightly to make the exhaust pipes fit.


passenger seatHere you can see my passenger seat frame and I also built it out of 1" square tubing. The gas tank is mounted just behind the seat. Found the gas tank in an equipment yard where they repair farm equipment. The Front end is off of an old 750 Honda, that I found in a local motorcycle salvage  yard for 50 dollars. Later I had to change it because it was damaged. The salvage yard replaced it at no extra charge. The owner has been a great deal of help getting me extra parts I needed.


brake and clutch In this view you can see how I installed the Brake and clutch peddles and also the master cylinder for the rear brakes. This was a master cylinder I found at an import auto parts store. It has the plastic reservoir built right into the master cylinder.

cardboard template I made a cardboard template to cover the tubing and to make the floorboard. The measured the cardboard and cut it half way through so it would bend where I wanted it to. I then took the card board to the metal shop where I was going to have my diamond plate aluminum bent so they could understand what I wanted.

chrome partsThis view shows the chrome parts I used on the engine and also where I had to fix the rear arch a little different because the exhaust pipes extended past the back of the trike.


wheelsFinally bought some nice aluminum wheels and new tires. I found the wheels at a tire shop for only 25.00 each and the tires were about 30.00 each. The wheels had some freight damage where something had been rubbing on them. A little elbow grease and the scratches went away. They are now just like new. I used diamond plate on the back and used recessed trailer lights for my brake and tail lights. Will use some four inch round turn signal lights also recessed.


cutting aluminumAfter I had the aluminum bent I had to cut it to fit. Just used a saber saw and used candle wax to keep the aluminum from sticking to the blade.